Saturday, October 3, 2015

5 Words Every Creative Lives to Hear

It is five in the morning and, as usual, I can’t sleep, even being able to take a deep breath knowing Mental Sauna III: Christmas Inflections is basically done. There is a certain irony in the fact that creating relaxation music that helps so many others is the very reason I cannot sleep.  The biggest challenge to creating such an album, for me at least, is that it puts me in a relaxed state while creating it, when I need to be focused the most.  Working with it all day and night completely changes my sleep schedule.  Probably a good thing I live in a town that operates 24 hours a day. 
It’s only been 2 days since I heard those 5 magic words and I expect I will hear them again, in some form or other, sometime late next week on another project.  I’m already reflecting on the events – looking for things I could have done better and will do better on next time.  Looking at ways to be more efficient and cost effective.  Looking for better ways to promote.  Looking at who helped and who let me down and deciding who I would give a second chance to.  This project has been a roller coaster, to say the least.

There was a lot of good and some firsts as well.  This was the first time I played and recorded bass guitar on anything.  This was the first time I have done an entire album of covers.  In fact, I hardly do covers at all, but I have to admit, it was a lot of fun.  This was the first album I started and finished in Las Vegas.  This is the first time I really focused on taking care of myself during an entire production (usually, by week two, I start making excuses).  This is the first time I have really put serious thought and effort into promotion.  Most importantly, this is the first project I’ve gone into knowing I am making the right kind of music instead of just hoping people will “dig my vibe, man.”

The sun isn’t even up yet and I am already planning my day.  Most of it will be spent on promotion.  I have to clean the house and do a couple other things but mostly promotion.  Sadly, some things get put off during production and there is always that time where I have to catch everything up.  Today is that day.  I am so excited to get both of these projects out there but the album will be released first.  As soon as I hear the magic words on the second project, I will announce it.  The only reason I haven’t already done so is because this is something unique and I want to wait until I know I can present it as it is before I present it and have to change something.  It is coming soon, though (the release is scheduled for November 2nd) – just waiting on those 5 magic words.

So today is a morning of reflection and a full day of work ahead but work I am perfectly happy to do.  With the feedback so far on both the music and the quality of the audio in both mix and mastering, it comes down to spreading the word.  So, I will ask that when you hear the album, please do leave a star rating on iTunes and, if you like, a review but the star rating takes two seconds to do and it really makes a huge difference in the way a project moves forward and sustains.  Thank you!!!!!

I can’t tell you all how much everyone’s support has meant.  Hearing those 5 words is a great feeling but the music doesn’t matter if no one is listening.  Still, being told, “Your project is in production!”  is pretty sweet!


Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment