Monday, May 20, 2013

The Standing Ovation


For the last few years, I have been a huge fan of the city of Las Vegas.  I’m not much of a gambler but I greatly enjoy the atmosphere, the shows and the ability to go to a restaurant at three in the morning.  There is an energy there that isn’t quite like what I have experienced anywhere else I have been.
                The first show I saw was Cirque Du Soleil’s Mystere at Treasure Island.  I think this would have been back in 2003 or 2004.  The show was spectacular and, at the end, there was a huge standing ovation that went on until the performers walked off the stage.  It was well deserved.

                Now, in 2013, I have seen quite a few shows including four more performances of Mystere, several more Cirque Du Soleil shows and others as well.  One thing I have noticed, as the years have gone by, is the reaction of the audience.   The thunderous applause is still often present and a huge inspiration to the cast and crew to know they have done something pleasing.  What has diminished is the standing ovation.  Why?

                The shows haven’t changed.  Even seeing some of them 4 or 5 times, they are still just as spectacular.  The cast and crew are still working just as hard as they did ten years ago.  So, what’s different?  Have we surpassed the point where the entertainment is amazing enough to please the audience?  We still clap and cheer, so it must be enjoyable.  Or is it out of habit?  Or is it because it is expected that we clap?
                What about the standing ovation?  Why does not happen as often.  Sometimes I see the people in the front rows stand up but not the people behind them.  What stops them from following suit?
                I really don’t have an answer on this one but am curious to get your thoughts.  Feel free to share them below or write me privately.
 

As always, thanks for reading!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment